TOR@CIN: Kratz doubles in go-ahead run in the 9th

ANAHEIM -- The Blue Jays have tested the patience of veteran catcher Erik Kratz on more than one occasion this year, but so far he has managed to battle through the roller-coaster of emotions.

Kratz rejoined his teammates on Wednesday morning following another stint with Triple-A Buffalo. When he was initially sent down on June 23, it wasn't because of his performance but yet another example of Kratz being caught in a numbers game.

The 34-year-old has been optioned to the Minors four times this season. The seemingly endless list of roster moves can be tough on any player, but at least Kratz seems to be dealing with it better than he might have during his younger days.

"At different points in your career, you figure out how to deal with certain things and you figure out that baseball moves need to be made," said Kratz, who was promoted when Cole Gillespie was placed on the 15-day disabled list. "But I'll be honest. I was disappointed to be down there. I wasn't happy-go-lucky, but I wasn't going to allow that to affect my play. The first time I got sent down this year I let it affect my play.

"It was frustrating knowing I could be up here helping the team. Everybody thinks they should be up here, but when you get sent down, it's all about how you respond mentally so that when they do call you back up, you're ready to play."

Kratz has found himself the odd man out because Dioner Navarro is the Blue Jays' starter behind the plate and Josh Thole is R.A. Dickey's personal catcher. Toronto's gone through several stints of carrying three catchers, but that's not always a luxury organizations can afford.

When Kratz has been up, though, he has been effective. He's the best defensive catcher in the group of three and possesses the type of power that can be particularly useful against left-handed pitchers. On the current 25-man roster, his presence allows the Blue Jays to sit Adam Lind against lefties, start Navarro at designated hitter and use Kratz behind the plate.

That's the type of alignment manager John Gibbons has liked for quite some time. He just hasn't always had the resources at his disposal.

"You just have to accept it," Kratz said. "It might not be so easy to send me down without my option, but you just have to roll with it.

"Maybe at the end of the season when you're evaluating your season, that lessens the blow because you know they have confidence in you. But it does increase the frustration level, because you want to be one of the 25 guys up here helping the team win."

Lind to miss six to eight weeks with foot fracture

TOR@BAL: Lind fouls ball off foot, leaves game

ANAHEIM -- The Blue Jays' injury situation went from bad to worse on Wednesday afternoon, when it was revealed that first baseman Adam Lind has a non-displaced fracture in his right foot.

Lind said the doctors expect him to be out for the next six to eight weeks. That would keep him out of the lineup until at least the end of August, which is yet another crushing blow to a team that is already without the services of Edwin Encarnacion and Brett Lawrie.

The injury was originally sustained when Lind fouled a ball off his foot during a series in Baltimore on June 14. He was diagnosed with a bone bruise and attempted to play through the pain before eventually undergoing an MRI.

"I don't know if I'm surprised," said Lind, who will travel to Charlotte on Friday to receive a second opinion. "They just said bone bruise, they said it couldn't do any more damage. I wasn't showing any improvement, and I had enough really. I needed another exam than just an X-ray or a CT scan."

The Blue Jays now have an unusual situation to deal with, because Lind admitted that it was his mother who recommended he go for an MRI. Toronto previously had Lind undergo an X-ray and CT scan, but it wasn't until Tuesday in Los Angeles that he went a step further.

Lind was under the belief that he could play through the injury and that it would eventually heal. He'll now likely be placed in a walking boot to keep the foot immobilized for the foreseeable future.

"My mom wanted me to get an MRI, which I hadn't had yet because it wasn't getting any better," said Lind, who is hitting .320 in 61 games this season. "So I asked for an MRI, and it showed up."

The loss of Lind leaves the Blue Jays without a natural first baseman on their roster. Jose Bautista has been playing the position while Encarnacion is on the disabled list with a strained quad, but he's expected to eventually move back to right field.

One possible solution for Toronto would be to promote veteran infielder Dan Johnson from Triple-A Buffalo. Johnson is hitting .254 with a .405 on-base percentage and 17 homers in 92 games for the Bisons this season.