ATLANTA -- Julio Teheran eased some concerns on Tuesday night when he produced his finest start of the year for Triple-A Gwinnett. The right-hander recorded a season-high nine strikeouts and limited Norfolk to one run over eight innings in a 3-1 victory, raising his record to 7-7.
This might have been viewed as a normal start when Teheran was going 15-3 with a 2.55 ERA for Gwinnett last year. But this season has proven to be much different for the highly-regarded 21-year-old pitching prospect, who has posted a 5.05 ERA through his first 23 starts.
"It doesn't bother me, because you're going to have some adversities and he has really not had any adversities,'" Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "This young man had really never had problems anywhere. So this year he's had to deal with some adversity and make some changes. That's fine. It's better there than in the Major Leagues."
Teheran's performance on Tuesday night provided a reminder of why MLB.com ranks him as the game's top pitching prospect. Still five months shy of his 22nd birthday, he still seemingly has a bright future.
"This morning when I woke up and saw [the results], I was like, 'Wow, that's been a long time since we've seen those kinds of numbers and a dominant performance like that from him,'" Gonzalez said. "Last year, we've seen that a lot. That really started off my day pretty good."
Braves assistant general manager Bruce Manno said Gwinnett pitching coach Marty Reed has been attempting to allow Teheran to find a comfort level with his delivery before making any necessary adjustments to his mechanics.
There were some questions surrounding Teheran when he posted a 3.57 ERA in his first 10 starts of the season. Those questions grew to concerns when he posted a 6.57 ERA over his next 10 starts. But now, as he nears the end of his second season with Gwinnett, he might be turning the corner.
Just five days before dazzling on Tuesday, Teheran had allowed five earned runs and eight hits in just four innings against the same Norfolk lineup.
Prado ends long homer-less drought
ATLANTA -- When left fielder Martin Prado hit a three-run home run in the seventh inning of the Braves 6-0 victory against the Padres on Tuesday night, it ended a 176-at bat home run drought, the longest such streak of his career.
Prado had last hit a home run in the Braves' 10-5 victory on June 20 against Phil Hughes and the Yankees.
Prado has six home runs this season and is on pace to hit eight, which would be his lowest total since becoming a regular fixture in the Braves lineup in 2009.
Prado said he's not concerned with hitting home runs and believes he's been too worried about them in the past.
"I was concentrating so much on hitting homers last year that I was forgetting what brought me here," Prado said. "What brought me here was hitting the ball the other way, moving the runner, doing the little things in baseball. That, for me, is more important than hitting homers."
Prado has done the little things well this year and is hitting .299 with a .359 on-base percentage, despite a second-half slump. He is hitting .240 since the All-Star break, down from his .321 first-half mark.
Injured Wilson targeting Sept. 1 return
ATLANTA -- Braves shortstop Jack Wilson, on the 15-day disabled list with a dislocated right pinkie since July 14, said he will receive a cortisone shot on Sunday and is targeting a return to Atlanta on Sept. 1.
Wilson's knuckle is so swollen, he said he's unable to properly grip a bat or a ball. He's hopeful the combination of the shot and more rest will reduce the swelling to the point where he can go back on a rehab assignment next weekend. His last rehab assignment at Triple-A Gwinnett was cut short last week due to the swelling.
"Before, it was go down and try to play with it, see if you can get through it," Wilson said. "As long as they threw a middle-inside fastball it was fine. Everything else, you just couldn't. Obviously that didn't work out."
Once Wilson returns, it is unclear what his role will be. He had been the Braves backup shortstop before he got hurt, first to Tyler Pastornicky and then to Andrelton Simmons.
The Braves hope to have Simmons, who is also on the 15-day disabled list with a broken right pinkie, back in September. With Simmons and Wilson hurt, the Braves traded for Paul Janish, who has served as their starting shortstop for the last month, with Pastornicky backing him up.
But with rosters expanding Sept. 1 to allow teams to have 40 active players, the Braves can afford to carry four shortstops if they choose. Wilson said is willing to take on whatever role the Braves have for him and is looking forward to his first career September call-up.
"[I'm] trying to be ready for that September call-up date," Wilson said. "And then [I'll] be here for whatever they need in September."
Braves right-hander Jair Jurrjens, on the disabled list since Aug. 1 with a right groin strain, left his rehab start with Triple-A Gwinett on Wednesday night in the third inning due to dizziness.
Jurrjens threw 43 pitches and allowed three runs on two hits in two innings. He was making his second rehab start with Gwinnett. The Braves said he will be evaluated further.