- South End Grounds
In their 44 seasons playing at South End Grounds, the Boston Red Stockings/Beaneaters/Braves won 13 league championships and one World Series. South End Grounds opened on May 16, 1871. A second deck was added in 1888 to accommodate crowds eager to see Boston's King Kelly and John Clarkson. Boston's first double-decked ballpark was also referred to as the Grand Pavilion.
In 1894, South End Grounds was destroyed by "The Great Roxbury Fire." The Boston club played at the Congress Street Grounds while South End Grounds was being rebuilt. After the fire, the new South End Grounds was smaller than its predecessor because the previous structure had been underinsured, and there was not enough money from the insurance claim to finance a new park of equal size with two decks. The most distinctive architectural feature was the spires atop the grandstand. Originally there were six, but the number was reduced to two when the park was rebuilt.
The Braves used Fenway Park to accommodate large crowds for a Memorial Day doubleheader in 1913 and the last two games of the 1914 World Series. The last game played at South End Grounds was on August 11, 1914. The Braves continued to play some home games at Fenway Park in 1915 until Braves Field was completed.
- Braves Field
Braves Field opened in Boston on August 18, 1915. The 43,500-seat ballpark was the largest in America when it opened. It was hailed as "the last word in baseball parks" by National League President John Tener.
Bigger then Fenway Park, Braves Field was used by the Boston Red Sox for games during the 1915 and 1916 World Series and on Sundays from 1929 to 1932. The most distinctive feature of this park was the vast expanse of outfield grass from foul line to foul line. Ty Cobb once said that no one would ever hit a ball out of Braves Field, and, indeed, it was nearly a decade before Frank "Pancho" Snyder conquered the left field wall. It wasn't until 1928 that the fences were moved inward and home runs became commonplace.
The "Jury Box" bleachers in right field served as home to a rowdy group of fans who worshiped right fielder Tommy Holmes. From 1936-40, Braves Field was called "the Beehive."
The Braves had to use Fenway Park for a short time after the 1946 home opener. Braves Field had received a fresh coat of green paint prior to the start of the season and the paint on some seats had not completely dried when the fans arrived on Opening Day. Consequently, many departed with green splotches on their clothes. The Braves apologized and paid more than $6,000 in cleaning bills to some 5,000 fans. The last game played at Braves Field was on September 21, 1952.
- 1953 - 1965
- Milwaukee County Stadium
The first regular-season game played at Milwaukee County Stadium was on April 6, 1953. County Stadium's seating capacity increased from 36,011 in 1953 to 43,394 in 1954. County Stadium was the first Major League ballpark built with lights and the first to be completely financed by public funds.
With less than a month's warning that the Braves were moving to Milwaukee, and no off-season promotion or ticket sales, the team attracted a then-National League record 1,826,397 to County Stadium in 1953. On May 20, in only their 13th home game, the Braves passed their 1952 season attendance of 281,278 in Boston.
Patients of the Veterans Hospital used to sit atop a hill beyond the right-field fence and watch the games until their view was blocked by the addition of outfield bleachers.
Milwaukee County Stadium hosted the 1957 and 1958 World Series. The Braves world championship season of 1957 saw attendance peak at 2,215,404, the all-time franchise record until it was surpassed in 1992. Milwaukee's love affair with the team steadily declined thereafter.
- 1966 - 1996
- Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium
Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium was home to the Braves from the 1966 season through the 1996 season. Ground was broken on April 15, 1964, and the first game was played on April 9, 1965, when Milwaukee defeated Detroit, 6-3, in an exhibition game before the 1965 regular season. The final game took place on October 24, 1996 when New York defeated Atlanta, 1-0, in the fifth game of the World Series. Approximate cost of the stadium was $18 million. The park was completed in 20 months, eight for design and 12 for construction. Architects were two Atlanta firms: Heery and Heery and Finch, Alexander, Barnes, Rothschild and Paschal. General contractor was the Thompson and Street Company of Charlotte, NC, and Atlanta. The stadium dimensions were 330' down each line, 402' in centerfield and 385' down the power alleys. The stadium wall was 10' with a capacity of 52,769.
- 1997 - Present
- Turner Field
The 1996 Olympic Stadium, built just south of Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, was retrofitted into a baseball only, open-air, natural grass facility between September, 1996, and April, 1997. AFC Stadium was imploded in August of 1997 and the site is now a parking lot. More »
Location - Between Ralph David Abernathy on the north, Hank Aaron Drive on the east, Bill Lucas Drive on the south and Pollard Blvd. on the west. It's very near the junction of I-75-85 and I-20.
Seating - Three levels supported by four concourses. A cross-aisle walkway divides the lower concourse. Field level and dugout seats are below the cross-aisle, the terrace level above it. The second level, the Lexus Level, includes 58 private suites, three party suites and the 755 Club, the ballparks private membership club. The third, or upper level does not go all the way around the park, providing the fans there with a view of the downtown Atlanta skyline.
Playing Field - Prescription Athletic Turf, featuring a state-of-the-art mechanical drainage system and hybrid Bermuda grass. The turf for the playing field is grown in an area below the scoreboard beyond the center field wall.